The behavior of a professional salesperson
Upnify Editorial Team - 19 de diciembre, 2022
During my 12 years as a Business Coach, and specifically in the segment of coaching sales managers and sales teams, I have always asked myself the same question: what is it that makes excellent salespeople have better results and are better than others?
Some of the conclusions, so far, regarding what distinguishes sales professionals, are the following:
- They passionately create and maintain an active referral network. Delighted customers become active promoters of a brand, a product, a service, a partner, a team, or a company.
- The ability to create together with the customer a clear business case and value propositions, even when selling raw materials. Sales professionals work with customers, not for them.
- A style and methodology adapted to the buyer's level of buying and purchasing maturity. The excellent salesperson will motivate and support the buyer to achieve his objectives and, in doing so, will intensify and reinforce the level of cooperation and real partnership. A professional especially excels at identifying the needs of all stakeholders and continually adapts their methodology to seamlessly connect expectations and needs.
- The ability to turn a "no" into a "yes" that means business. Good salespeople are those who win large contracts, excel in account management, or simply deliver what their brand promises, i.e., do what is expected of them. In contrast, excellent salespeople create positive emotional responses to the solutions being offered. They can "nudge" the customer, without manipulation, in a direction they did not initially want to go.
- The ability to ask questions and discuss issues positively and constructively. Salespeople like to ask questions that raise "problems" or uncover "pains", but forget that such questions are often self-oriented and incite negative feelings, such as "who is responsible for this? In no way do they help the sales rep become a trusted advisor. The same "problem" issues can be addressed and expressed in a much more positive and solution-focused way.
- Last, and not least, the four keys that work together:
-Solid decisions about whether an investment is viable or not viable.
-Disciplined use of best practice processes and methodologies.
-Genuine curiosity and motivation to learn.
In addition to these characteristics, one of your qualities is constantly following a sales plan. Here are the main points that a sales and marketing plan template must have:
Profile of an excellent professional salesperson
The profile of a good salesperson is composed of a series of characteristics of the person's personality and values, added to knowledge.
- Listening skills.
- Ease of communication.
Other important aspects to be a good salesperson:
To have an excellent presence. This does not mean that you must wear a suit and tie or a blouse and skirt, but that the salespeople must adapt their clothing to the profile of their clients.
A good salesperson must be observant and responsive. In his day-to-day work, he will have to constantly adapt to different situations.
The profile of a good salesperson fits a person with good communication skills, interaction with people, learning ability, and great self-discipline.
What actions will you take in your business and your life, in this sense?
Upnify´s Editorial Team; formed by professionals and experts in Marketing, Sales, Communication, Design and other areas. They share their experience through articles enriching the commercial culture.